Timothy P. McKeown concentrates his practice on a variety of civil and commercial litigation with an emphasis on commercial real estate related matters, centered on real estate contract disputes, contractor disputes, construction lien and title issues, partition actions, and access issues under New Jersey environmental statutes. Tim has extensive experience handling commercial lease negotiations and related disputes and has tried scores of bench trials, as well as jury trials, throughout his career on behalf of commercial landlords, tenants, and others. In addition to his litigation practice, Tim has extensive experience drafting commercial leases and contracts of sale, as well as representing sellers and purchasers in commercial real estate transactions. Tim maintains New Jersey Commercial Real Estate Disputes, a blog on the firm’s website that provides businesses and individuals with timely information about the law as it pertains to the commercial real estate industry. One of Tim’s favorite quotes is: “Service to others is the rent we pay for our time here on earth.” To that end, Tim currently serves as President of the ARC of Somerset County, an organization that serves individuals with developmental disabilities and their families from birth through the senior years of life through its many programs and services in Somerset County. Tim also serves on the Board of Trustees for Habitat for Humanity of Raritan Valley. Habitat for Humanity partners with low income people in the community to help them build or improve a place they can call home.
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- Successfully defended Tenant manufacturer, supplier, and marketer of herbal extracts and specialty fine chemicals in claims by Landlord for breach of contract and diminution of value of leased premises.
- Successfully defended Tenant Corian manufacturer in breach of contract claims brought by Landlord as to condition of premises upon surrender.
- Successfully defended major refiner, transporter, and marketer of transportation fuels in New Jersey Spill Act claim in which client subleased equipment and premises to alleged polluter.
- Represented restaurant owner in business dispute negotiating a buyout of client partner, negotiated commercial lease of restaurant premises.
- Successfully represented national hotel chain as landlord in summary dispossess and breach of contract actions against Tenant nightclub.
- Successfully defended commercial tenant and guarantors by reducing landlord’s claim at trial from approximately $300,000 to $11,500.