5 Steps to Follow When Injured on the Job
Getting injured at work can be scary and stressful, especially if you are not sure what to do. Hopefully your employer has given you basic steps for what to do if you are injured while working. Workers’ Compensation can get very confusing, so it is worth consulting with an attorney to help you file correctly.
February 22, 2018
Here are 5 important steps you should take when injured on the job:
- Your personal safety comes first. Make sure you move away from the situation to avoid any further injury. If you need immediate medical attention, tell a coworker or anyone who is near you.
- Write down everything you remember about the injury. Try to remember dates and approximate times. This will make it much easier for when you are repeating the story to various people (like your employer and their insurance company). Having a consistent and accurate story is very important for your claim.
- You must notify your employer of the injury. You have 90 days to file for Workers’ Compensation. This means that if you do not realize you were injured, you still have some time to file. Be sure to notify your employer with the details about what happened. Your employer cannot file a claim with their insurance company if they do not know you are injured.
- Ask your employer what doctor you should see. Make sure to see that doctor for your injuries. If you do not feel comfortable after seeing that doctor, you might be entitled to choose another doctor depending on the Workers’ Compensation your employer has. If you need immediate medical attention after your injury, go to wherever the nearest hospital is.
- If you run into any issues, contact a Workers’ Compensation attorney. ESR Law Group has a lot of experience dealing with Workers’ Compensation and insurance companies. Unfortunately, the insurance companies usually do not have your best interests in mind, so having a good attorney on y our side can really help.
If you need help with a Workers’ Compensation claim or have any questions, book a free consultation on Attornify today.
ESR Law Group is located in downtown Chicago. We represent clients in personal injury, medical malpractice, and workers’ compensation cases. #KnowYourRights